The Penitent Magdalene

The Penitent Magdalene

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Vocation

A whisper, a voice carried on the wind “come follow me”; where does this voice come from? I look around’ the glade is clear; not a soul, I strain my ears to hear; not a sound.

Happily I return to chewing the grass; thinking thoughts to a family of my own, to children to raise away from the spectre my own broken home, to emigration and to love – suddenly I am hit, my soul is pierced by an arrow and I fall down, I cannot move, my legs will not obey; then I see the hunter .

No it cannot be he wants me, NO! I want a family of my own, I want to be healed of the heartache of a family in ruins, I want to hold my own children in my arms, I want to hold a future Spouse close to me, but above all I want to be loved by another.

Now the Divine hunter is closer, I know now that he is Jealous, he wants my love for himself; he does not want to share it, I scramble trying to get away hurting myself in the process; he is almost upon me, I know that he will catch me yet I still try to run, the wound in my soul deepens; I want a family yet I want to serve him as well, oh physical torments are but trifles compared to the agony I now suffer.

Then he caresses my soul and all thought of earthly pleasures disappears, the wound in my soul is healed; I love only him and him alone and become a willing slave to his will.


Based on the Description of how a soul realises she is being called to higher things by Fr. William Doyle S.J in his pamphlet "Vocation" (1873) and the Author's own personnel experience.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for posting this.

    You can find much more information on Fr Doyle at www.fatherdoyle.com

    ReplyDelete